Saturday, September 10, 2011

My Dog is Sick After Drinking

I have a female chocolate Labrador and she is very greedy so when my dog is sick I assume it's due to overeating! That is what I thought anyway but I don't over feed her and certainly never give her treats at the table. Then I found out that the neighbours son was throwing away his bread rolls into our garden - not great for my dogs health and probably the cause of my sick pet. After getting that sorted out I thought she would stop being sick so often but it still continued. I spoke to the vet about whether I should be getting some dog treatment and explained how my dog is sick and when it happens. She suggested feeding her 3 times a day rather than twice.

dog food for sensitive stomachs

This did improve it a little but when on holiday in the summer it got worse - my dog vomiting at the camp site was not good. Very embarrassing when my dog is sick in the middle of the playing field.

Dog Food For Sensitive Stomachs

Anyway I found a book about dogs and came across some helpful stuff that included some ideas on how to stop your dog vomiting. When you give a dog dry food the food swells up inside their stomachs. This can be a problem for some dogs. If they then drink afterward the food swells even more and this can make your dog sick.

Our chocolate Labrador is very greedy and wolfs down her food so fast that she takes in a lot of air as well. This is what was making her sick. Giving her smaller amounts to eat at a time helped but didn't stop the food swelling especially after eating. I guess my dog has a sensitive stomach (like me!). What we do now is to put her dog food out and then pour boiling water over it. When it has cooled we let her eat and say stop when she starts eating too fast. She has now learnt what stop means and waits for us to tell her she can carry on eating again. We keep only a small amount of water in her drinking bowl so she can't drink too much straight away and then after about half hour we let her drink as much as she wants.

Doing this has stopped my dog vomiting and given me peace of mind about camping next time! If you find that your dog is sick after drinking or after eating then try this out and see if it helps.

My Dog is Sick After Drinking

Dog Food For Sensitive Stomachs

0 comments:

Post a Comment