Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Dog Food, Dog Food, Dog Food

So many dog food choices, so little time!

I was recently in a veterinarian's office and asked if I could give a treat to a beautiful Golden Retriever. His human said sure and asked what it was. I replied that it's a low-fat lamb and rice tidbit. He quickly pulled his dog back with an anxious response, "No, he's Vegan." I responded with "Oh, me too! What's his sign?"

Dog Food

I didn't actually say anything because I do understand that a lot of dogs have adopted many food allergies much like their human companions. Dogs are Carnivores. Their teeth, jaw, and digestion were originally "designed" for raw meat. My dogs definitely prefer it, but their enjoyment of it is usually prefaced with hearing me either say "leave it!" Or, "that's gross, hurry up and swallow!"

There are so many diet options - Vegan, Raw (which I do believe is the most natural), kibble and only kibble, kibble with raw, Vegetarian, Fish and Potato, Venison or other rare "seasonal" meats. When did this happen? When did dogs get so definitive about their food preferences and worse, have horrible allergies to food? It seems that there is also a level of subtle arrogance about what we feed Pooky. Our concern shouldn't be brand, but content and our dog's well-being.

Having had a dog with serious skin allergies, I do understand. We spent a year or more on expensive food trials. That didn't work. Finally, there were allergy shots and that didn't work. Prednisone and prednisone only worked. The allergy testing proved (much to her pleasure) that she was allergic to cats, mold, and dust! Welcome to my world! So, food was not the issue. You would think that the higher the price of the food, the greater the health. Not so.

We are all left with the responsibility of knowing our dogs and what works.

Do they eliminate regularly? But, not excessively? Is their stool solid? Are they of a healthy weight - a light layer of tissue over the ribs and a nice chest pad? How are their teeth? Are they mostly free from plaque? Are they fed on a semi-consistent schedule? Do they have an excessive amount of gas? (you'll know this one for sure!)

I won't recommend a dog food. With six dogs, I admit mine get kibble. They love it and no one is wondering what someone else got that they didn't. It's of good quality, but probably not considered "top of the line." Be responsible for your dog's nutrition and health, but if they eat better than you, it might be time for an evaluation or you could just say "I'll have what they're having!"

Sometimes it's good to remember that maybe what your dog appreciates most is love and a full belly.

Dog Food, Dog Food, Dog Food

Dog Food

0 comments:

Post a Comment